Tuesday, June 2, 2009

All Smiles

Mia is smiling and talking all the time. It is the cutest thing in the world. I have a few pictures of her smiling but they are hard to get. It seems like when I take out the camera, she gets shy. Maybe she is like her Daddy in that way. We went to the doctor and Mia weighted 11 lbs and 10oz. She is in the 75th percentile for height and weight (healthy girl!). We have almost completely quit the nightly screaming and are starting to get into a nighttime routine (thank the Lord). But now we have a new family drama.....the bottle.

Mia just flat refuses to take the bottle. We are blessed enough that I get to stay home with Mia but in the nursing field, things change very quickly. So I am still working prn (not full or part time). We thought this would be a good way for Mia to bond with Dad and for Mom to get a little break. I am only working a few days here and there but when I do work, Mia will not eat! We try everyday to give her a bottle. It ticks her off! We have spent a small fortune on bottles (not to mention a ridiculously expensive breast pump). We have looked up tips online. Everything. Our doctor said that if I am not here to feed her, she will not starve. She will eat eventually. It is just a battle of wills. Well, in Mia's 10 weeks of life, she has proven that her will is much stronger than Mommy's or Daddy's. If anybody has been in this situation or has any suggestions- I would love to hear about it!

Laughing

Daddy's girl!

Smiling for Mommy

After the flash (LOL) "What was that MOM?!"

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Saylor HATED, HATED, HATED the bottle too at first. We started practicing a few weeks before I went back to work. My best advice is practice makes perfect--we tried every day for at least one feeding until she was more comfortable with it. I tried different bottles, nipples, times of day, etc--but I couldn't tell that it made much of a difference. She finally just got the hang of it--I think she finally just got hungry enough to attempt at sucking and then realized it wasn't so bad--and it was still the same milk she was used to--just packaged a little differently. I know it's not easy, but the doc is right, she won't starve. I also would leave the house to go run a short errand or something--it made it easier on me and her. Apparently they can smell you, so she knows when you are there. Hang in there, she will get there!!

Sturgy Fam said...

Thanks for sharing more pictures of your princess.
I have no advice to share but lucky for me I know exactly who to email/blog if Parker hates the bottle.

Sarah said...

Yes, Saylor screamed and screamed!
We would usually wait until she was pretty hungry to even try the bottle (if she usually eats every 3hours, wait at least 4 to feed her and then she is more likely to eat). But yes, if she didn't eat any of the bottle in like an hour, I would go ahead and nurse. I wish I had more advice--I remember this stressing me out so bad. It's just miserable hearing your baby cry and knowing that you can easily fix it by just nursing her. (Make sure a squeeze a few drops in her mouth so she can taste it.)

Sarah said...

And....if you have no deadline of going back to work--maybe give it a week--give yourselves all a break--and try again.