Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Baby Wise?

We had a wonderful weekend and I had the BEST Mother's Day. Now that I am a mother- I love love love Mother's Day. It is just special. Daddy did good on my present! (pic below). Mia had her pcis made with her beautiful cousins and some of just her. She is too cute!

I read a book called Baby Wise. Anyone heard of it? It has some very good principals and we started Mia on a new schedule based on the book. It says to feed the baby but don't let them fall asleep right after eating. They have a wake time right after eating then it is nap time then repeat. She was happier the first day we did the schedule. I can already tell a big difference! I think maybe she wasn't getting enough sleep during the day and it was making her cranky. One thing that the book says to do (that I don't do yet) is to put the baby down to nap while still awake. This way they learn to fall asleep on their own. It says that it is normal for baby to cry for up to 20min before falling asleep. It says it will not hurt the baby to cry and in fact-babies need to cry some. I just can't do it! 20 min is a long time!I have heard that you shouldn't let a newborn "cry it out", but at what point are they not a newborn anymore? I know I ask alot of questions to the blogging public (and I really appreciate your input!) I just want to always be doing the best thing for Mia and for our family.

Did you let your babies cry?
For how long?

Now....pictures
Mia and her beautiful cousins. Britlee and Brooklyn

She spit up on her dress right before the pic. LOL

We just think she is so beautiful!

Mother's day present. The stone is Mia's birth stone

Mia's Kentucky Derby party outfit. Floppy hat and all!

6 comments:

Three Guys & a Gal said...

Mia is soooo Cute!!! I LOVED baby wise!! I read it before I had Briggs and brushed up on it before Grady. I didn't do everything the book said to do but I definitely made them stay awake at least 15 minutes after eating and then they fell asleep on their own. I did not let them cry for that long but I did let them cry a little. Briggs slept throught the night at 8 weeks and Grady sleeps 6-9 hours at night. I recommend that book to anyone, but like I said I don't do EXACTLY what it says but I follow the same principles. Happy Belated Mother's Day!

b said...

She is so beautiful! I'm sorry I don't have any "Mommy" words of wisdom...but I'm sure you are doing great! Hang in there, dear!

Sturgy Fam said...

Happy (late) Mommy’s Day! I love the necklace:)
Our Bradley instructor told us to get Baby Wise before we have Parker. She says it’s the perfect baby dictionary for new parents. I am thinking about getting it to read during our road trip this weekend.

Ingram Gang said...

She IS so cute! And way to go Jaden on your gift, that is beautiful!
I read and used Baby Wise. I liked the principle, feed, wake time, sleep.
I think you use your judegment, but if you can get her on this routine it will make sleeping easier on everyone. I never really let mine cry, but they usually didn't fight it. You are such a great mom and it is obvious that you want to do what is best for Mia. Way to go!

Julia Soler said...

Dang, 3 babies later I hear about this book, lol! I'm sure it would've came in very handy...it should check it out for Jared. He always falls asleep from eating, while I am burping him, so maybe I should change that. I never let him cry though...soon as he starts to sound the least bit content, I am RUNNING to cuddle him, lol....maybe its cuz he's my last baby, but then again, I didn't let any of mine cry, lol. He is going on 3 months and finally does sleep 8 hours at night...YAY! Hopefully you are getting enough sleep as well. ...You are such a good mama Berk!

timmons said...

She ia adorable...I am so happy for yall...enjoy every minute God bless you all Love Robin